Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what's possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
Bioinformatics Scientist, Cancer Immunology
Genentech seeks a highly motivated and scientifically inspired computational biologist for a Scientist position in the department of Bioinformatics & Computational Biology. This individual will work in collaboration with the Cancer Immunology department to study neoantigens that drive anti-tumor immune responses.
Cancer immunotherapies have proven to be highly successful in using the immune system to target tumors, and Genentech is one of the world leaders in this field. Following the success of checkpoint blockade therapies, new strategies, including personalized cancer vaccines, are now being pursued. The Scientist in this position will study tumor-presented mutated peptides (neoantigens) using bioinformatics and DNA/RNA sequencing techniques. The individual will actively participate in both early research and clinical development stages, to deliver truly personalized therapies to patients. Primary focus will be on using high throughput molecular data, including but not limited to next generation DNA and RNA sequencing, to address topics including:
- Identifying neoantigens in patients that may drive immune responses against tumors.
- Understanding physico-chemical properties of peptides that may make them more effective in triggering immune responses.
- Studying factors in the tumor and its microenvironment that may be conducive to or refractory for cancer immunotherapy.
We are looking for a candidate who has extensive experience with next generation sequencing data analysis, is highly proficient in R (though additional experience in Python is a plus), has a strong understanding of and experience in application of machine learning methods, and has a solid understanding of molecular biology. A working understanding of cancer biology and/or immunology is required.
The successful candidate will be able to effectively present complex results in a clear and concise manner that is accessible to a diverse audience of quantitative, experimental, and clinical scientists. Regular publication of both scientific and methodological results will be strongly encouraged.
Who You Are
- PhD. in bioinformatics, computational biology, or similar field, with a strong publication record. Alternatively, a PhD. in molecular biology or immunology, with a very strong record of publications demonstrating bioinformatics expertise and an ability to carry out high throughput data analysis using a core bioinformatics programming language such as R.
- Post-doctoral or industry experience in bioinformatics, with strong demonstrated achievements.
- Strong understanding of and experience with machine learning. Proficiency with using methods like random forests, neural networks, support vector machines and regression, etc.
- A solid understanding of molecular biology. Cancer biology and/or immunology experience is required.
- Experience with analyzing next generation sequencing data.
- Strong experience in R. Experience with Python is a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Good presentation and communication skills.
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
No matter who you are or what role you play, you’ll help change the face of medicine and make a real difference in the lives of people facing the most challenging medical conditions. Plus, you’ll thrive in our one-of-a-kind culture, where diversity is celebrated, employees are valued for their contributions and we all serve as advocates for change who continually find ways to do things better.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply" button below.
Genentech, a member of the Roche Group, has multiple medicines on the market for cancer and other serious illnesses.
Genentech is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities/Women/Disability/Veteran
Sign up for Job Alerts
Sarcoma Physician-ScientistOregon Health & Science UniversityPortland, OR, United StatesApr 27
Melanoma Medical OncologistOregon Health & Science UniversityPortland, OR, United StatesApr 27
Postdoctoral Fellow - Training Program for Quantitative Population Sciences in CancerGeisel School of Medicine at DartmouthHanover, NH, United StatesApr 26
Chief of Oncology, North Texas Division and Director, Charles A. Sammons Cancer CenterBaylor Scott & White HealthDallas, TX, United StatesApr 25
Postdoctoral Fellow - CRISPR Cancer Mouse Model - Wen Xue labUniversity of Massachusetts Medical SchoolWorcester, MA, United StatesApr 24
More from Genentech
CDx Project LeaderGenentechSouth San Francisco, CAMar 31
Clinical Biomarker Operations ManagerGenentechSouth San Francisco, CAMar 31
Scientist Oncology Biomarker DevelopmentGenentechSouth San Francisco, CAMar 31
Senior Scientific Researcher - Oncology Biomarker DevelopmentGenentechSouth San Francisco, CAMar 31
Associate Scientist/Scientist/Senior Scientist, Clinical PharmacologyGenentechSouth San Francisco, CAMar 31
Postdoctoral Position- Head & Neck CancerLouisiana State University Health - ShreveportShreveport, LA, United StatesMar 16
Tenure Track Faculty Position at the Assistant/Associate Professor Level: Breast Cancer ProgramGeorgetown University School of MedicineWashington, DC, United StatesMar 10
M.D./PhD -- Cellular TherapyHackensack Meridian Health and Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer CenterNutley, NJ, United StatesApr 19
Post-doc Research Associate in Liquid BiopsyUCLALos Angeles, California, United StatesApr 17
Marketing ManagerCell Signaling TechnologiesBoston, MA, United StatesMar 29