Senior Bioinformaticist 1 - 1703092
Provide advanced analytical and interpretive expertise as part of a translational genomics team to develop process methodology and to meet internal and external clients’ needs. Plan and lead the development of novel algorithmic and pipeline solutions serving the scientific and bioinformatic analysis needs in cutting edge genomic assays. Present findings to audiences of diverse skill sets and document programming and validation projects.
- Develop novel approaches to addressing complex problems in NGS data analysis (e.g. circulating tumor DNA variant calling, immune-oncology, etc.)
- Perform detailed and custom next generation sequencing analysis tasks. This can include efficient scripts for data formatting/processing and representing data in mathematical software.
- Expertise in working with clients for hypothesis elucidation and testing. Experience in experimental design, fixed and random effects modeling and working, correlated data (e.g. time series, survival, etc.), dimension reduction techniques (e.g. PCA, SVD, LDA, etc.) and data mining / model selection methods (e.g. neural networks, LASSO, etc.). Knowledge of statistical analysis of clinical trials.
- Extensive experience using classification and prediction modeling of real world data. This includes both benchmarking third party software and the development of novel algorithms.
- Strong proficiency with at least one scripting language(Python, Perl, Bash, etc) and statistical analysis( R )in a linux environment. Readily able to discuss common packages and functions(eg pandas, pysam, DESeq2) within a bioinformatic workflow. Experience with object-oriented programming and high performance programming(Java, C++) is a plus.
- Develop programming documentation including plans and specifications, as appropriate.
- Scope and estimate resources, then execute on the analysis of client projects.
- Provide advanced technical expertise in conjunction with internal and external clients, and independently bring project solutions to teams and department.
- Perform and plan the development, implementation and validation of new product technologies and applications.
- Lead department and/or cross-functional project teams tackling different initiatives.
- Provide training and guidance to new staff.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong foundational knowledge in Linux/UNIX-based systems as well as HW-S/W interfaces, storage, networking
- Strong knowledge of computing languages such as C/C++, Perl, Shell scripting within Bash environment or similar general purpose programming languages
- Proficiency in SQL, quantitative tools or languages such as R, SAS, or related analysis software
- Familiarity with statistical methods
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, leadership and communication skills
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks and projects
- Excellent level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, managers and clients
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree in computer science, bioinformatics, statistics, molecular biology, genetics or related field and 5 years relevant experience or Master’s degree in computer science, bioinformatics, statistics, molecular biology, genetics or related field and 3 year relevant experience; or PhD or educational equivalent in computer science, bioinformatics, statistics, genetics/molecular biology, or related field; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Extensive use of keyboard requiring repetitive motion of fingers
- Regular sitting for extended periods of time
- Occasional travel (
EEO Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Sign up for Job Alerts
Postdoctoral Research Fellow – Cancer Immunotherapy, Matthew Albert lab, Genentech ResearchGenentechSouth San Francisco, CAMar 22
Research Associate 2 or 3Louisiana State UniversityBaton Rouge, LA, United StatesMar 22
Biomedical Scientist in Head and Neck Cancer ResearchUniversity of California San FranciscoSan Francisco, CA, United StatesMar 22
Post-Doctoral Associate and/or Research AssociateUniversity of Miami MIller School of MedicineMiami, Florida, United StatesMar 21
Manager, Social Media CommunicationsAmerican Association for Cancer ResearchPhiladelphia, PA, United StatesMar 21
Faculty Search: Aging, Society and Health Initiative - Georgetown UniversityGeorgetown UniversityWashington, DC, United StatesFeb 28
Tenure Track Faculty Position at the Assistant/Associate Professor Level: Breast Cancer ProgramGeorgetown University School of MedicineWashington, DC, United StatesMar 10
Senior Research AssociateLawrence J. Ellison Institute for Transformative Medicine of USCLos Angeles, CA, United StatesMar 09
Senior Scientist, Cancer BiologyAbbVie1 North Waukegan Road, North Chicago, IL 60064Mar 19
Senior Scientist / StatisticianGerman Cancer Research Center (DKFZ)Heidelberg, DeutschlandMar 14